The Pavilion was built in 1969 with Roscoe Maples, a 1904 graduate of Stanford, as the primary donor. It cost $3.3 million to build in 1969. In 2004 and 2005, the pavilion went through a major renovation costing some $26 million. The new facility has state-of-the art amenities ranging from the concession stands to the scoreboards.
The Maples Pavilion houses both the Stanford Men's Basketball Team and the Stanford Women's Basketball Team as well as the Stanford Women's Volleyball Team. It has hosted various NCAA championship events in both basketball and volleyball. There is disabled seating in various locations around the facility and numerous wheelchair accessible entrances around the pavilion.