The Michigan Theatre was built in 1928 by the W.S. Butterfield Company as a silent movie house. The vaudeville and silent film house held the Barton Theater Pipe Organ. Since 1984 the Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra has made a home in the Michigan Theatre. The historic theatre plays both classic and contemporary films, like Milk and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
The Michigan Theatre box office opens thirty minutes before films and one hour before live events. Smoking is not permitted in the venue. The venue has wheelchair access. The theatre seats 1,700 with 200 in the screening room. All patrons must have a ticket but some discounts may be taken for children for certain events. All forms of payment are accepted.